Farrell Alumni 'Hall of Fame' Honorees
Biographies shown below
The purpose of the 'Farrell Alumni Hall of Fame', established by Ted Pedas in 2005, is to recognize former students who have brought distinction, honor and excellence to the Farrell Area School District through their accomplishments and achievements.|
The Hall of Fame provides an opportunity to showcase the diversity of Farrell's graduates from 1904 to the present, all of whom are listed on the Farrell (PA) High School Alumni Archives Web site which was created and funded by Ted Pedas, FHS '56.
The 3rd Annual Farrell Alumni Hall of Fame Awards Banquet was held on October 20, 2007 in the cafeteria of the Farrell Area School District. 3rd Annual Farrell Alumni Hall of Fame Awards Banquet
James A. Raykie Jr., editor of The Herald and chairman of the Alumni Hall board of directors, served as the master of ceremonies.
October 20, 2007
- Welcome - Carol Borkowski, Interim Superintendent, Farrell Area School District
- "The Pledge of Allegiance" Tom, Millie, Matt and Melissa Fowler
- Invocation - Joseph Messina Deacon, Our Lady of Fatima Church, Farrell
- Dinner to Enjoy
- Introduction of the 2007 Honorees
James A. Raykie Editor, The Herald
- Remarks, Ted Pedas, Director Emeritus, Farrell High Planetarium
- "The Farrell High School Alma Mater" Millie Fowler
- Benediction, Joseph Messina Deacon, Our Lady of Fatima Church, Farrell
OUR STUDENT VOLUNTEERS
- Video: Brandon Ward, Sheridan Robinson
- Ushers/Servers: Ashley McMillan, Freedom Rudolph, Cristin Pollock, Billijean Jackson, Daina Owens, Jordan Wilkins.
HALL OF FAME BOARD OF DIRECTORS and AWARD COMMITTEE |
Anthony Aiello, FHS '54
Debbie Bordell, FHS '70
Chuck Branca, FHS '68
Vincent Cardamon, FHS '60
Dr. James G. Kollar, FHS '54
Serena (Tizio) Nevant, FHS '48
Judi (Yersky) Pendel, FHS '60
Joe Santell, FHS '70
Carol (Stefanak)Ulan, FHS '69
James Raykie, FHS '70.
HALL OF FAME SUPPORT
Donations are welcome to help support the Farrell Alumni Hall of Fame and its related activities, culminating with the annual induction ceremony that showcases the success of Farrell High School graduates, its retired administrators and teachers. The induction ceremony is scheduled annually for the third Saturday in October.
If you are interested in donating, please make your chedk payable to the Farrell Area School District and send it to Debbie Bordell, Farrell Area School District, 1600 Roemer Boulevard, Farrell, Pa. 16121
2007 GOLD LEVEL MEMBERS ($500 and above)
2007 SILVER LEVEL MEMBERS ($200 to $499)
- Ted Pedas
- Dr. James G. and Maryann Kollar
2007 PATRON LEVEL MEMBERS ($100 to $199)
- William Gabaella
- Violette Fleming
- Dr. Morren J, Greenburg
- Donald and Gloria Cagigas
- Lt. Col. (Ret.) Donald H. Jones
- Mary Margo DeMark
- Dr. Julia Marshall
- Amelia Brumm
- Pedro Calleja
| Farrell Alumni Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees |
Kathy (Yankevich) Bialk
FHS class of 1979
Kathy (Yankevich) Bialk, who graduated from Farrell High School in 1979, is the director of student financial services for Mercyhurst College in Erie, Pa.
Before arriving at Mercyhurst in July 2006, Kathy served in administrative capacities in several institutions of higher learning in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
She earned a bachelor's degree from Alliance College in Cambridge Springs, Pa. in 1983 and a master's from Rider University in Lawrenceville, N.J. in 1994. She spent a year abroad in 1983-84 at Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland, after receiving the Kosciuszko Foundation Fellowship.
She was director of residence life at Alliance in 1984-85 and a year later was named the college's director of financial aid.
For four months in 1986, she served as financial aid adviser for DeVry College of Technology in North Brunswick, N.J. and then as senior financial aid adviser until May 1987.
She was named assistant director of financial aid at Rider in May 1987 and held that position until February 1989, when she was named director.
In July 1993, she left Rider for a similar job at Union County College in Cranford, N.J., until April 1997, when she left to become the director of student financial aid services at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark. She served NJIT in that job until July 2006, when she arrived at Mercyhurst.
Kathy, a featured speaker at programs throughout the country during her career, lives in Edinboro with her husband, Mirolslaw.
Dr. Clarice (Flint) Ford
FHS class of 1975
Dr. Clarice R. (Flint) Ford, who graduated from Farrell High School is 1975, is the associate dean of students at Berry College in Mount Berry, Ga.
After her graduation from Farrell, she entered the U.S. Army, from where she received an honorable discharge in 1980. She earned a bachelor's degree in human services from Antioch University in Seattle in 1992 and a master's in adult education and multicultural education from Antioch in 1995. In 2003, she earned a Ph.D. in educational leadership and change from The Fielding Institute in Santa Barbara, Calif.
After serving at two schools in Washington from 1993 through 1999, she returned to Farrell Area School District as a family literacy specialist. She left in 2000 to become the diversity coordinator at Youngstown State University. She was a consultant to Columbus, Ohio, Public Schools from 2002 to 2003, during which time she was the coordinator for African-American Services at the Ohio State University.
She left Ohio State in 2003 to become the director of multicultural student affairs at Berry and serve as an adjunct professor. She did both until 2005, when she was named the associate dean of students.
She remains a trainer, consultant and researcher and facilitates training programs for federal, state and local government agencies, educational institutions, human service agencies and religious organizations on diversity, strategic planning, conflict resolution, leadership, empowerment and climate assessments.
She has received countless awards and has authored many education-related papers and lectures, and she is a member of numerous professional organizations. She and her husband, Atlas, a 1968 Farrell graduate, live in Cartersville, Ga.
James Golubich |
FHS class of 1947
James Golubich, who graduated from Farrell High School in 1947 and won two letters each in football and basketball, earned his mark as an outstanding area educator after an interesting military career.
After graduation, he enlisted in the Navy in 1948 and served a total of four years. While in the Navy, he attended Class A Optical School (navigation instruments) and was assigned to the USS Nereus in San Diego, where he was recruited to play football for Submarines Pacific. He was honorably discharged in 1950.
He returned to the Navy from 1953-1955 and was stationed in New London, Conn. aboard the USS Fulton. He continued working in the Optical Shop and was involved in the installation of the periscopes on the USS Nautilus, the first atomic submarine.
He graduated from Youngstown College in 1962 with a bachelor's degree in education and earned a master's degree in 1965 from Westminster College with certification as an elementary and secondary principal as well as local superintendent.
He taught grades 5, 7 and 8 in Hubbard from 1963-1970 and was an assistant coach in football, basketball and track. In addition, he was summer school principal, director of adult enrichment education and coordinator of adult basic education.
After leaving Hubbard, he was principal at Grand Valley Elementary School in Orwell, Ohio, for a year, at Chardon Middle School for six 6 years, and at Neal Middle School and Currie Elementary School in the Mathews School District for 10 years.
Upon retiring from education in 1987, he worked as a salesman for Midstates Fundraising Inc. where he still works on a part-time basis. He married the former Patricia O'Korn in 1953 and they recently celebrated their 54th anniversary. They have a son, Dr. James Golubich, Seattle, Wash.
James (Jim) Pedas
FHS class of 1947
James (Jim) Pedas), who graduated from Farrell High School in 1947, in partnership with his younger brother Ted, became a leader in the recording, film and real estate industries.
After graduation, Jim attended Thiel College, where he was president of his senior class and vice chairman of the student body. After serving in the U.S. Army, he settled in Washington, D.C.
While attending George Washington University Law School, he and his brother established a recording company known as Colt 45 Records and helped launch the musical career of Don Covay, who went on to write the songs "Pony Ride," "Mercy, Mercy," "Chain of Fools" and many others. During this period, he and Ted became involved in motion picture exhibition through the purchase and management, first in drive-in theatres, and then the Circle Theatre in Washington, D.C. Purchased in 1957, the Circle was revitalized through a then-unique policy of booking and promoting classic films in repertory.
As the original Circle Theatre's reputation and following grew, more theatres were constructed, their exhibition emphasis always on the best in U.S. independent and foreign product. The Circle Showcase group of theatres eventually expanded throughout the metropolitan Washington area to nearly 100 quality screens.
The Circle Showcase group of theatres was sold in 1988 to Cineplex Odeon, but the interest in motion pictures was retained. The Circle Releasing Co. has received recognition for its many quality releases, among which are Joel and Ethan Coen's first features film, "Blood Simple" and "Interrogation," an award winner at Cannes Film Festival. Simultaneously, Circle Films produced the critically and commercially successful "Raising Arizona," the Coens' classic gangster film, "Miller's Crossing," which was chosen to open New York Film Festival, and "Barton Fink," which became the first film ever to win Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor Awards at the Cannes Film Festival.
Jim has been the recipient of numerous awards for his work in promoting motion pictures as an art form, including being named Washingtonian of the Year (1973) and receiving the American University's Award for Contribution to Film Culture (1985). He has been honored with an honorary doctorate from Thiel College (1989).
He is on the boards of Thiel College and The Washington Hospital Center. He established the James Pedas Communications Chair at Thiel in 1989 and the James Pedas Communication Center in 2005.
Theodore (Ted) Pedas
FHS class of 1949
Theodore (Ted) Pedas, who graduated from Farrell High School in 1949, in partnership with his older brother, Jim, became a leader in the recording, film and real estate industries.
After graduation, Ted earned a bachelor's degree in education from Youngstown College in 1953, a master's in business administration from the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business in 1954 and a law degree from George Washington University in 1957.
He and his brother established a recording company known as Colt 45 Records and helped launch the musical career of Don Covay, who went on to write the songs "Pony Ride," "Mercy, Mercy," "Chain of Fools" and many others. During this period, he and Jim became involved in motion picture exhibition through the purchase and management, first in drive-in theatres, and then the Circle Theatre in Washington, D.C. Purchased in 1957, the Circle was revitalized through a then-unique policy of booking and promoting classic films in repertory.
As the original Circle Theatre's reputation and following grew, more theatres were constructed, their exhibition emphasis always on the best in U.S. independent and foreign products. The Circle Showcase group of theatres eventually expanded throughout the metropolitan Washington area to nearly 100 quality screens.
Circle Management Co. encompasses the worlds of real estate and commercial development through its Circle Development Co. and another branch, Circle Parking. In 1989, Circle Management developed a Michael Graves-designed 772,000 square-foot office building, which today is IFC headquarters at 21st and Pennsylvania NW in Washington, D.C.
He is a member of the American Film Institute's Second Decade Council, National Film Preservation Board of the Library of Congress and is president of the National Association of Theatre Owners of D.C. He was on the Board of Trustees of the Lincoln Theatre Foundation, a former member of the board of the Duke Ellington School for the Performing Arts Fund, and a member of the advisory council of American Film Institute Theatre.
He was Washingtonian of the Year (1973), and received American University's Award for Contribution to Film Culture (1985), Joseph Wharton Award (1988), and ShowEast Hall of Fame for Meritorious Service (2001).
Robert L. Peel, M.D., |
FHS class of 1960
Dr. Robert L. Peel, a 1960 graduate of Farrell High School, was led to an illustrious career in medicine by the influence of his father and grandfather, who owned a famous family pharmacy in the city.
After graduation and following in the medical footsteps of his family, owners of Peel's Pharmacy, he graduated from Allegheny College in 1964 and earned a doctor of medicine degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in 1968.
After an internship and residency in the department of pathology at Presbyterian University Hospital, he was appointed to the teaching faculty of the School of Medicine and currently holds the rank of associate professor of pathology with a secondary appointment as associate professor of otolaryngology.
He is certified by the American Board of Pathology in anatomic and clinical pathology and cytopathology. He served his country as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy, assigned to Portsmouth Naval Hospital from 1973 through 1975.
His current appointments include Presbyterian-University Hospital and the Eye and Ear Institute. He directs the residency program in pathology and is a member of numerous professional organizations.
He has authored or co-authored many professional articles in peer-reviewed journals, as well as a book, several chapters in books and miscellaneous abstracts and other publications. He serves on the editorial board of Head and Neck Pathology.
A popular and prolific lecturer at home, he has been a frequent visiting professor or invited guest lecturer on the state and national levels. He has served as president of the Pittsburgh Pathology Society, Medical Alumni Association of the University of Pittsburgh, C.F. Reynolds Medical History Society and the Minutemen of the Medical School. He has served on dozens of hospital and university committees. He has been honored three times as an outstanding teacher by the Pathology Residents of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center hospitals.
Dr. Samuel G. Sava,
FHS class of 1949
Dr. Samuel G. Sava, who is chairman of the board of NIS, Inc., a publishing and communications company in Fairfax, Va., graduated from Farrell High School in 1949 and has advised five United States presidents on education and legislation.
After his career at Farrell, he graduated from Slippery Rock University in 1953 with a bachelor's degree in education, and from Westminster College in 1955 with a master's in education. He earned a Ph.D. from The American University in 1963. He got his start as an educator as an elementary teacher in Farrell.
Most of his training was in education. As a matter of fact, his doctorate was in child psychology and he has authored a book published by McGraw-Hill, "Learning Through Discovery for Young Children."
He served as an adviser to five presidents and was director of research for the U.S. Department of Education. The five presidents included John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and William J. Clinton and his greatest achievement was the development of the Head Start Program and the original Elementary and Secondary Education Act in 1965.
He is a retired captain from the U.S. Navy and he recently received a medal from President Bush for his special service during the Cold War as part of the Naval Intelligence Command. He has written numerous articles on education and many speeches on the subject throughout his long and illustrious career.
He spent 18 years as the executive director of the National Association of Elementary School Principals, retiring in 1999. He has served as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
He and his wife, Elizabeth, live in McLean, Va. His late brother, John G. Sava, was a Farrell Area School District teacher, administrator and superintendent.
FHS class of 1949
Rosemarie Scarmack, a member of the Farrell High School Class of 1949, has had a distinguished career that took her from the Order of the Sisters of Mercy to the Pittsburgh Public Schools.
After graduating from Farrell, she dedicated 18 years of her life to the Order of the Sisters of Mercy in Erie. Taking her mother's Christian name, she was known as Sister Angela.
In May 1964, while a part of the Order, she earned a bachelor's degree in elementary education from Mercyhurst College in Erie. Later, she earned a master's degree in elementary education from the University of Pittsburgh, presenting her thesis on dyslexic children.
She left an affluent and comfortable environment and arrived in inner-city Pittsburgh, where she taught for 25 years in the public schools. She distinguished herself multiple times as a nominee for Teacher of the Year in the State of Pennsylvania. In 1983, she received the prestigious state award for her teaching methods and techniques.
After her retirement, she returned to Farrell, where she taught as a substitute teacher in the public schools. She became a coordinator and teacher at The Church of the Good Shepherd in West Middlesex in 2004, instructing young adults in Christian spiritual growth.
Many local organizations have been the recipients of her community spirit and financial support, among them The Church of the Good Shepherd, Our Lady of Fatima Church, the Right to Life Movement, Keystone Blind Association and UPMC Horizon, Farrell.
Rosemarie, who lives in Hermitage, is well-traveled, having visited throughout the United States as well as Italy, Israel, South America, Germany, Alaska, Nova Scotia, Mexico and others.
Frank Sincek, |
FHS class of 1959
Frank Sincek, who graduated from Farrell High School in 1959, established himself as a loyal and dedicated athlete and coach, and transferred his teaching skills to the high school administration ranks.
He retired from the high school as its principal in July 2001, completing nearly 40 years of service to the school district that he loves and continues to hold in such high esteem.
He had a successful athletic career at Farrell, in which he excelled at football, basketball and track, and was of the stalwarts of Coach Ed McCluskey's 1959 state cage team.
After graduation, he attended Penn State at University Park, where he continued his football career, playing for Coach Rip Engle and his lead assistant, Joe Paterno. Sincek graduated in 1963 and returned to his alma mater as a high school teacher.
He served as dean of students in 1988-89, and added the title of assistant high school principal through 1992, when he was named the principal, and later assumed the additional duties of director of instruction and curriculum.
He was named head basketball coach in 1979 after serving as a loyal assistant and chief scout for McCluskey for many years, and his efforts kept the school's program as one of the tops in the state. He won numerous section championships and the WPIAL crown in 1984 during his successful 12-year run. He continues to serve as an assistant for the varsity basketball team.
He and his wife, Marianne, live in Mercer and have two sons, Frank and Shane, and several grandchildren.
A note of appreciation to Jim Raykie for his efforts in launching the Inaugural Farrell Alumni
Louis J. Morocco, |
FHS class of 1938
Louis J. Morocco, who graduated from Farrell High School in 1938 and served as the district's superintendent from 1970-1983, is the 2007 Alumni Hall of Fame's posthumous honoree.
He earned a bachelor's degree from Thiel College in 1947 and a master's degree from Columbia University in 1948. He did doctoral studies at the University of Pittsburgh. He earned his superintendent's certification from the University of Pittsburgh.
From 1948-1951 he taught economics and accounting at the Schuylkill Campus of Penn State University in Pottsville. It was here that he met his future wife, Mildred Hartman.
He taught math, science and history at Farrell from 1951-1953. He was a guidance counselor from 1953-1960, and served as federal programs coordinator from 1960-1968. After serving as assistant superintendent from 1968-1969, he was named superintendent in 1970, a position he held until his retirement in 1983.
He became a leader and visionary of learning programs that included instructional television, remedial reading and math clinics, centers for disadvantaged students, reassignment centers, school desegregation, computer-assisted learning and computer programming, human growth and development instruction, and satellite television reception.
He was best known for the creation of "Womb to Tomb," a new concept that provided an educational environment from infancy to elderly, and he originated one of the first Day Care and Head Start programs in the Shenango Valley, which is still providing education to pre-K students today.
During World War II, he served in the Navy Air Corps in the Atlantic, Asiatic and Pacific theatres and was awarded the Victory Medal and the Good Conduct Medal.
He passed away on Dec. 1, 1991 at the age of 71. He left behind his wife of 39 years, and a daughter Mildred Fowler and her husband, Tom, and their children Matthew and Melissa.
Hall of Fame Awards and compiling the program which includes the above biographical information.